You’d be hard pressed to find a another group of people who find a reason to NOT do something for themselves. I think as moms, we have to lock on that. It’s beyond easy to find a reason to feel guilty about things that we used to not give a second thought.
If I’m being honest, I got back and forth on the self-care see-saw. There are times that I feel like I’m balancing things like a boss! I am meeting the needs of my family. I am taking time for my own needs. It’s all flowing. Everyone is happy. Supermom is in full effect. Then there are the times that I feel like things are all out of whack. I go, go, go – taking care of everyone else and I totally fall off the the list. Of course, it means I’m cranky, frustrated and annoyed with everyone. It’s not fair to my husband or my kids. Especially because it’s something I can easily fix.
Luckily, my husband understands that. He’s fully supportive of me having “Camesha time”. Whether that looks like me having a girls trip with my friends, or an afternoon spent entertaining myself at a coffee shop or nail salon, he supports my taking time. It feels good to take care of me – guilt free. At some point, we all have to let go of the guilt and questioning our worthiness.
Just to make you feel good and put a smile on your face, here are 5 ideas of things you could+ should do for yourself. No guilt allowed.
- Buy something you really want without balking at the price.
- This isn’t something I do often. There are times though that I like to remind myself that I’m worth it. Whatever “it” is.
- Find time for a hobby that’s just for you
- My kids have ballet, art and chess classes. I am signing up for a hip hop dance class just for me.
- Read something YOU like
- I read a ton of books to my kids. I read things about parenting. I have recently gotten back into the practice of reading stuff just for me. I even joined a book club. It’s a great way for me to stay accountable to making that time for myself.
- Think of one thing you’ve wanted to do forever. Make a plan to do it.
- There’s something really empowering about not only knowing what you want, but putting it in writing. The simple act of writing it down make it real and doable. Need help pulling that plan together? Sign up for the VIP list for Hey, Big Dreamer, my goal setting course for mamas!
- Go on a date – with yourself.
- Treat yourself to a meal at your favorite spot. Dress up a bit. Put on a red lip and enjoy!
P.S. Check this out for more self care tips and ideas!
Tell me, what tops your list as something you must do for yourself?