It’s about to be that time of year where we start thinking about where we are and where we want to be. You know it’s coming. All of the proclamations on Facebook about what people are leaving behind as they step into the New Year. I, for one, have no problems with those posts. The problem always seems to be the follow through. So many times we struggle to stick with what we said we were gonna do, be, have.
Truth be told, it’s hard to make life changes. We’re creatures of habit. Once we’re used to doing thing a certain way, that switch up is anything but easy. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible though, right? Every big change, that has even the smallest shot of making it, starts with small steps. Taking the smallest of steps is always less overwhelming. It’s definitely more likely that we’ll reach our goals if we don’t try to eat the whole cake in one sitting instead of taking small bites.
As for me, I’ve decided to put my focus on a few things I can control. Being intentional about what I can do more of in my life just makes sense. Because I’ve always believed that what we focus on grows, I’m making sure my focus is locked on all good things.
Three things I’ll be focused on more:
- Gratitude – This is a big one. I’ve noticed that when I start to get down on myself, I have to get back to the basics. For me that looks like focusing on gratitude. When I take a moment to reflect on what I’m grateful for it changes things. I used to get up before the rest of my family to write in my gratitude journal, meditate and exercise. I need to get back to that. Making gratitude one of my daily habits made a difference back then and I’m getting back to that.
- Sleep – I’m tired way more than I care to admit. I could blame all the stuff I do with and for my family but at the end of the day, it’s on me. It’s on me to make sure I’m getting enough rest or nothing else I’m trying to do is going to work. I started using my iPhone to help me with that. There’s an alarm that goes off to remind me that it’s time to shut down and get ready for bed if I want to get 8 hours of sleep. That’s been helping me to keep my rest on my radar. It’s too easy to get lost in the black hole that is my computer. Knowing that reminder is coming up pushes me to wrap things up and start to shut down.
- Be intentional – When I sit down to work, that black hole I mentioned above is a problem. When I’m intentional about what I am trying to do before I even sit down it makes a world of difference. The same is true for every area of my life. When I’m clear on what I’m trying to do and what what needs to be done to get the results I want – things get done!
Three things I’ll be doing less of:
- Worry – My mom always says “If you’re going to worry, don’t pray. And if you’re going to pray, don’t worry. You can’t do both.” Another thing I’ve always heard is that worrying is like a rocking chair. It’s something to do but it doesn’t get you anywhere. All of this is so very true when you think about it. I’ve had a lot of things over the last couple of years that have stressed me out with worry. I’m convinced this skunk streak of gray hair in my head is from all the worry. I’m learning that if it’s something I can change then I need to focus on that. If I can’t change it – let it go.
- Compare – Comparision-itis is real! It got me good this year. I spent too much time on social media beating myself up because I wasn’t making the progress I saw others making. I had to really get myself together and take a good look at my life. It’s pretty good over here on my side of the street. When I focused on my own stuff and kept my eyes in my own lane, it made a difference. I also deleted the Facebook app for awhile too. That break was good for a lot of reasons.
- Over thinking – For as long as I can remember, I’ve been this analytical thinker. It’s a good thing. The problem is, I over analyze things and situations. Sometimes that overthinking has caused me to miss out on some opportunities. I’m taking a page out of the book of Shonda Rhimes and just saying yes a bit more.
The goal is always for me to be a better version of myself. Creating new habits and revisiting old ones is helping me get closer to Camesha 2.0. I’m always a work in progress. Are there some things you know you need to do more of? What about things you need to let go of?